The mission of the AUSD LGBTQ Round Table is to foster an inclusive, safe, and welcoming environment for all students in the Alameda Unified School District (AUSD). The AUSD LGBTQ Round Table will do so by supporting children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) families and students who identify as or are perceived by others to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or gender non-conforming. Please take a moment to read our Letter to the Community
- Provide resources to the school district to ensure the success of LGBTQ-oriented curricula.
- Collaborate with community-based (e.g., business, civic, faith) organizations committed to inclusive, safe spaces for youth and families.
- Develop parent/community groups for support and advocacy of the LGBTQ community.
- Coordinate pro bono legal support to help AUSD ensure and safeguard legal rights for LGBTQ youth and families.
- Connect LGBTQ youth and families in the community and schools with appropriate community-based supportive resources.
- Organize community-based events to educate about the history and presence of LGBTQ people and families in our schools and city.
- Facilitate Harvey Milk Day planning to foster community awareness and understanding.
- Assist with AB 9 and SB 48 implementation to promote safe schools.
- Coordinate diversity awareness activities/events in all AUSD schools.
- Support students, staff, and families who are LGBTQ and allies of the LGBTQ community.
AUSD Board Policy 0410 Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities defines the district’s intent of fostering work like this as follows: “The Board of Education is committed to equal opportunity for all individuals in education. District programs and activities shall be free from discrimination based on gender, sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation or the perception of one or more of such characteristics. The Board shall promote programs which ensure that discriminatory practices are eliminated in all district activities.”